Thursday, March 9, 2017

The beginning...

Blogging- something I do a lot of... sort of, maybe?  What I mean by that is I am often inspired and motivated by other peoples' blogs.  I read a lot of blogs. I think of starting a blog. But the idea of writing to a bigger audience is a bit overwhelming for me.  I often feel like I don't have much to say.  I ask myself, will someone even take the time to read it? But, as I grow in education, I have discovered that what I tell my students and own children- "You have to take risks, You have to put yourself out there and if you fail, it's an opportunity to learn, I need to do as well. And if there is anything that I love, it is to learn more! So here my journey begins!
My family tease me, when asked what I wanted to be growing up, I had big dreams- dolphin trainer/aquatic biologist.  Not sure how I thought that would happen, living in Ohio... not even close to the ocean. But at 12, 13, 14 years old that's what I thought I'd do.  As I started to move towards adulthood I realized that I just wanted to continue to go to school.  If I got paid to go to school for the rest of my life... I would. Ironically I found myself in a classroom- sharing my love for learning with little humans. Either way, I have found myself in a classroom for the rest of my life.  
I have been teaching for 15 years.  My experience began with student teaching in first grade and then getting my first full time position in a second grade classroom. After spending 8 years in second grade, I returned to first grade.  During that time, I began teaching Reading and Children's Literature at the college level.  WOW! First or seconders graders by day and adults by night!  This was a wonderful experience. I loved each- but differently. I gave up the college teaching to spend more time with my family and found that I was missing it.  Which brings me to my role today...  Today, I am still employed in the same district that I started my teaching career- but I get to enjoy the best of both worlds! I am the Technology Integration Specialist here at Northwest Local School District in Canal Fulton, Ohio. 
The transition has been awesome and slow all at once. Awesome because I have been able to work with many teachers AND students.  Awesome because I have had the time and opportunity to fill my brain with so much information! Slow because I came from a first grade classroom- where there I had to manage 25-28 little humans constantly.  My restroom breaks were all planned and if I didn't go when planned... that's another post! Plans...those were often just suggestions in the classroom- I learned early that being FLEXIBLE was necessary. That too could be a separate post! These little people looked to me for everything! My job was to fill their brains with the most information that they could handle, teach them manners and how to be a good friend and citizen, show them love and grace and also provide discipline. You see my day was nonstop, not a second to waste... I needed every minute.  This year, I have time to learn and plan things.  I have had to learn to appreciate the change of pace. I love that I get to still interact with students in the classroom, but the real teaching is happening with my colleagues. 

With this new role, Google has been my most favorite to learn about and play with.  It all started with a Google Bootcamp last summer.  Once I discovered all the great things that G Suites had to offer in the classroom, I couldn't wait to learn more so that I can share with others. 
Last month, I achieved my Level 1 Certification.  With the success of that, I just can't wait to master Level 2 Certification! Since Level 2 required that I learn about Blogger, I felt like it was another nudge to step out of my comfort zone and start a blog of my own. 
This is the beginning of that journey.  I am using the training center and dabbling in all things Google to make that happen! 
So here's to achieving the next goal!



No comments:

Post a Comment